WHAT ARE INJECTIBLE FILLERS?
Injectable Fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face. As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat. The facial muscles are then working closer to the skin surface, so smile lines and crow’s feet become more apparent. The facial skin also stretches a bit, adding to this loss of facial volume. Other factors that affect the facial skin include sun exposure, heredity, and lifestyle.
Dermal fillers can be used to:
- Plump thin lips
- Enhance shallow contours
- Soften facial creases and wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of recessed scars
Dermal fillers can be very helpful in those with early signs of aging, or as a value-added part of facial rejuvenation surgery.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW?
For some patients, surgery such as a facelift, brow lift, or eye lift may be the best approach. Non-surgical rejuvenation treatments, such as soft tissue fillers, cannot achieve the same results, but may help delay the time when consideration of a facelift becomes appropriate. Rumer Cosmetic Surgery offers the following Injectable Fillers:
- Juvéderm® is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid—a naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps to add volume and hydration. It is injected in the skin to add volume to aging skin.
- Radiesse® is a next-generation cosmetic dermal filler. It is used for the correction of facial lines and wrinkles, restoring a natural, youthful look in an easy, convenient treatment. Numerous medical studies have shown that Radiesse is a safe treatment to fill and correct smile lines, nasolabial folds and wrinkles around the nose and mouth.
- Belotero® is a protective and lubricating gel-like substance that is produced naturally by the body. As we age, our skin’s supply of hyaluronic acid decreases, causing the skin to thin and eventually to sag. Wrinkles and furrows then form. Belotero replaces some of that lost hyaluronic acid, giving treated skin a smoother, more youthful appearance.
WHAT DOES THE PROCEDURE INVOLVE?
You’ll feel a pricking sensation as the filler is injected. Most patients do not experience much, if any, discomfort during the procedure, but you can request a topical anesthetic if you’re very sensitive to needles.
HOW LONG IS RECOVERY AND WHEN CAN I RESUME MY NORMAL ACTIVITIES?
You may resume activities as usual, but do not rub or massage the injected area for a while. The filler could possibly be moved from the injected site if it is manipulated too soon after injection. Scars, deep lines and wrinkles may require more than one injection, or a deep injection into the dermis, for nasolabial folds, marionette lines, or cheek enhancement. You will probably experience redness, bruising, and swelling for at least a few days, but can usually be covered with makeup. Some people have also experienced red and/or thickened nodules that arise from the injected sites, and these may last for several weeks.